IMPORTANT: After the November election results, it is clear that the President-elect may implement or remove federal policies that can endanger the safety and well-being of undocumented students & families. Educators and education institutions must show they are WITH undocumented students & families, and all of our communities who are marginalized by the policies.
Here are some ways to show your support and protect immigrant students & families:
- Learn what to do about DACA
- Post-Election: Recommendations for School Administrators, Educators, Counselors, and Undocumented Students [from My (Un)documented Life blog]
- Become a Sanctuary Campus (learn more from these schools)
- Don’t allow Border Patrol or ICE on your campus
- Create a petition to support students (check out these examples)
- If you’re in AZ, check out this letter
- K-12 Schools: Make a public recommitment to Plyler v Doe
- College/University: (Re)commit to admitting Undocumented and DACAmented students
- Work with other organizations like the University of Arizona’s Immigrant Student Resource Center
- Host UndocuPeers training sessions for staff, faculty, teachers, & counselors (contact us)
- Host DACA info sessions (contact our DACA team)
- Host Know Your Rights Trainings at your school (contact our Deportation Defense team)
- Connect with other educators
ScholarshipsA-Z understands that teachers, counselors, and advisers influence students’ educational futures on a daily basis. Here are some tools to help you create a more inclusive environment for your students, regardless of their immigration status.
Download our resource kit, which includes:
- Guide on how to apply to AZ universities as a DACA student
- What is DACA?
- 7 reasons to advocate for undocumented students
- 10 ways to build your skills as an advocate for undocumented students
- U.S. Dept of Education Resource Guide: Supporting Undocumented Youth
- Important immigration and education vocabulary & legislation
What can you do you show you are WITH & FOR undocumented students?
- Join National Educators Coming Out Day & remember you’re not alone in your work.
- Help your institution participate in National Institution’s Coming Out Day
- Find more resources with our partners at the Dream Educational Empowerment Program (DEEP)
Creating a More Inclusive Environment for All Students
- U.S. Dept of Education Resource Guide: Supporting Undocumented Youth (PDF)
- Resources from Around the U.S. to Support Undocumented Students
- How to Support College-Bound Undocumented Students (PDF)
- Top 10 Ways to Help Undocumented Students (PDF)
- Tips from Teaching Tolerance
Academic Support for Your Students
- Scholarship Application Tools for Your Students (PDF)
- Khan Academy (FREE video tutorials on academic subjects)
Resources to Support First-Generation College Students
More ScholarshipsA-Z Resources
- Comprehensive Resource Guide
- ScholarshipsA-Z Brochure – English Spanish
- What can STUDENTS find on our site?
Connect with ScholarshipsA-Z
- Help make more resources available to educators by making a donation to ScholarshipsA-Z today!